Art Play Therapy for Autism
CASH DONATION – $6,000
Provide Art Therapy classes in a safe, warm and welcoming environment for children with Autism and their families. Facilitated by a qualified Art Therapist, children are encouraged to explore their feelings and express themselves using the art as a medium. Art is used to engage the children, allowing them to learn and socialise with peers. Parents and siblings have an environment which encourages interaction and communication, reducing social isolation and encouraging them to share the joys and challenges of having children with a special need.
The project will culminate in an “Art Show” showcasing the art works as AASS House.
• Improve skills in areas such as communication, social skills, sensory issues, behaviour, cognition, perceptual/motor skills, and self-reliance or self-determination.
• Making personal connections and building trust.
• Because art is motivating and engaging, it may be used as a natural “reinforcer” for desired responses.
• Art therapy can also help those with sensory aversions to certain textures to cope with these sensitivities or individual differences in sensory processing.
• Offer the opportunity for individuals with Autism who have a passion for art to develop and build on their passions and to contribute as a local contributor to the arts.
• Provide an opportunity for parents/carers and siblings to socialise, communicate, interact in a supported environment, reducing social isolation and encouraging them to celebrate the successes of their child with Autism.